Monday, January 02, 2006

El ejercito in Santa Cruz



On 14 Dec, I visited my colleagues in Montero, Santa Cruz, as I wrote on the previous blog of 18 Dec, 2005. On 15 Dec, my supervisor and I went to “el Ejercito”, or an army to see her child, José. Every Thursday from 15:30 to 17:30 anybody can enter a site of the army. There was a bunch of people visiting their children, boyfriends, and husbands. They were having juice and food lying down on the grass as if they were having a happy family picnic in a huge park.

In Bolivia it is mandatory for all the men to serve in the army. You can choose: one-year service totally separated from the real world or two-year weekly service with 2-week training camps a few times, if I remember correctly.

It is said that today the Bolivian military service is completely useless, because Bolivia is surely helpless against any other Latin-American countries, since it has less military, less weapons, and less war chest.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"ejercito"?

Going to El ejercito sounds nasty... I think I feel dirty... Water! Bring me water... and soap! Stat!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:43:00 AM  
Blogger Natsuko said...

awww! thanks honey chan!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home