Saturday, December 17, 2005

El Comprar para Navidad



The city is getting more Christmasy recently. I went to a market in El Alto, or The High where the poor live, with my host family for Christmas shopping. We got some wrapping paper, some sets of glasses for juice, and some ornaments for our Christmas tree. Here it is immensely insane to shop during this period. Anywhere you go, there is a gigantic cluster of enthusiastic shoppers.


Hell yeah, it's the worst time to shop everywhere in the world. My BF and his family never exchange Christmas presents, but just cards. Think it is clever to avoid this insanity, which ends up making your life hell.


This city is flooded with Christmas trees, Santa Claus dolls, St. Nicholas candles, infant Jesus ornaments, Christmas cakes... so many commercial things and only a few are truly spiritual. In a way, however, I like the Christmas feeling which has settled over La Paz. I Feel the enthusiasm of the people and the huge economic potential for the near future; even if it is not true from the perspective of the economists, I just feel it, and so do the people here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home